3/4 cup sugar
1 lg. head cabbage -- shredded/not chopped
2 lg red onions -- thinly sliced
Hot Dressing -- see below
Stir sugar into cabbage. Place half of the cabbage in a large bowl. Cover with onion slices. Top with the remaining cabbage. Pour boiling hot dressing over slowly. Do not stir. Cover and refrigerate at once. Chill 24 hours. Stir well before serving.
1 teaspoon celery seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar 1 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard 1 cup oil
Combine celery seeds, sugar, mustard, salt, and vinegar in saucepan.
Bring to a rolling boil. Add oil, stirring,
and return to rolling boil. Makes about two cups.
Adreana's Greek Pasta Salad
1 pound rotini
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 stalks celery -- chopped
1 red bell pepper -- chopped
2 1/4 ounces black olives -- sliced
4 ounces feta cheese -- drained & crumbled
3 green onions -- finely sliced
16 ounces Italian salad dressing
Cook chicken in water to cover with 1 bay leaf. Bring to boil and cook
for 30 min. or until juices run clear. Cool and remove skins. Or, you
can cook chicken in frying pan until cooked through. Cut into bite size pieces. Cook noodles and drain. Add all ingredients and mix well. I use only about half the bottle of dressing and then put the rest on the table if someone wants more. Serve warm or cold. Serves 6
Aegean Artichoke & Penne Pasta Salad
6 fresh baby artichokes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 pound penne pasta
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic -- minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
3 tablespoons fresh basil -- or 1 tsp. dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup fresh tomato -- chopped
1/2 cup olives -- Kalamata
2 tablespoons capers
1/2 cup feta cheese -- optional
1. Cut stems off artichokes. Peel off tough outer leaves to reveal
yellow-green hearts. Cut artichokes into quarters. Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice with 2 cups water in a medium bowl. Add artichokes to lemon water and toss to prevent discoloration. Drain. Steam artichokes until tender, about 20 minutes. chill.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a rapid boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and penne. Cook penne until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. To make salad dressing: combine tomato juice, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree for 30 seconds.
4. Toss together artichokes, penne, capers, olives and feta cheese in a large bowl salad bowl. Pour dressing over and toss well.
ANOTHER BEAN SALAD
1 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Vinegar
16 ounces Green beans, can -- drained
16 ounces Yellow beans, can -- drained
16 ounces Lima beans, can -- drained
16 ounces Garbanzo beans, can -- drained
16 ounces Red kidney beans -- drained
1 each Green pepper -- slivered
4 each Celery -- sliced
3 each Onions, medium -- sliced thin
Combine sugar, salt vinegar in pan, bring to boil for 1 min. Cool.
Toss all other ingredients together and pour the vinegar mixture over
them. Marinate for 24 hrs in refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
16 oz. pkg fresh/frozen cheese tortellini
4 ounces chopped salami
4 ounces provolone cheese, cut into -- 2 x 1/4" strips
11 oz. can corn -- drained
9 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed -- squeezed to drain
6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts -- drained/chopped
6 ounce can pitted ripe olives -- drained/sliced
1 1/2 cups prepared creamy Italian salad dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 ounce jar diced pimiento, drained -- if desired
Cook tortellini to desired doneness as directed on package; drain, rinse
with cold water. In very large bowl, combine tortellini, salami, provolone cheese, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts and 1 cup of the olives. In small bowl, combine salad dressing, mustard and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently. Top with remaining olives and Parmesan cheese. Cover; refrigerate 1 - 2 hours to blend flavors. Just before serving, garnish with pimiento
Apple and Fennel Salad
5 ounces Fresh Spinach
1 each Small Fennel Head -- sliced
2 each Medium Granny Smith Apples
1 each Small Red Onion -- sliced
* The Granny Smith apples should be peeled and cubed. Kuwait has been
liberated. Thoroughly wash spinach, removing fibrous stems. Dry and place in salad bowl. Add fennel, apples and onions. Toss with Celery Seed Dressing. Trim with fennel tops. 6 servings.
Apple Cider Salad
2 packages gelatin powder -- unflavored
2 cups apple cider
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups apples -- diced
1/4 cup black walnuts -- chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
lettuce leaves -- for decoration
1. Put 1/2 cup cold water into a small bowl. Sprinkle two envelopes (2 tablespoons) of unflavored gelatin on water. Let stand 5-10 minutes to soften.
2. Heat 2 cups apple cider until very hot; add salt. Remove from heat and immediately add softened gelatin. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Have a 1 quart mold lightly greased with cooking oil. Do not use olive oil. Spoon about 1/2 cup of gelatin mixture into mold and place in refrigerator.
3. Chill remaining mixture until slightly thicker than consistency of unbeaten egg white. Just before large bowl of gelatin is desired
consistency, dice apples and chop walnuts and parsley. Add this to the
gelatin and place into the mold which already has thin bottom layer of
gelatin. Chill until set.
4. Unmold onto serving plate which has been decorated with lettuce
leaves; curly endive is a good choice.